Sunday, July 1, 2012

One year home.

I cannot believe I am typing those words as a post heading.
But it's true. One year ago today, we landed in the United States, after a 16 hour flight that is still traumatizing to think about, but at least I'm maturing to know that it was far more traumatizing for my babies than it ever could be for me. A good friend asked me if we could laugh about the flight yet and I have to admit...not yet. Not quite.

One year ago we came home, as a family of four. Presto magic we went from two to four. Of course I kid using the term 'presto magic'--you all know it wasn't like that at all. And you will never hear me say (see me write?) the words "gotcha day" because those make my stomach turn.

But here we are.

Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes.

How do you measure a year in a life?

Of course, as a Rent lover this song resonates with me on multiple levels.
And yes, we could measure it in sunsets, and midnights, in laughter and in strife.

We could also measure it in diapers (hey that's actually in the B lyrics!), and sweet little slobbery kisses, in sleep deprived nights and days, in tantrums, in high chair meals (it seems we are forever getting in and out of high chairs!), and Brown Bear, Brown Bear readings.

The days can be long, but the year has been short but I am trying--always trying!-- to measure my life in love.

While 'Seasons of Love' is probably the most popular song from the play, my favorite is 'Without You, Finale'.

These words have been in my head since the first time I heard them.

There's only us
There's only this
Forget regret or
Life is yours to miss

There's only now
There's only here
Give in to love
Or live in fear
No other path
No other way

No day but today.

And today, is one year home.

But because I don't ever like ending all drama-esque, I'm going to publish a photo that is sure to make you smile. I don't think I ever put it in the blog before, and if I did, forgive me for the re-share. This photo was taken after we'd been home about three days. We were out walking the babies because most of the time we didn't know what to do with them and strollering was one of our many ways to 'change the environment' when said babies started getting cranky. We were both so tired we were literally stumbling.


Oh bless their hearts. They didn't know what they were getting themselves into when they got us as their second parents, did they?

17 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! I can't believe how fast a year has flown by. I'm sure it has been a magical year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fast year, huh? I feel the same way! Your DH looks like he's pushing 200 pounds of baby!

    Hope you guys are doing something fun to celebrate today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for one year as a family! Love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy One Year! It went by so fast, at least it seems that way to me :)

    And LOL, Mr. MTL looks like he is about to keel over. Great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love, love, love. I can't believe it's been a year. Absolutely extraordinary how long and short that is...all at the same time. Glad you all survived. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I can't believe it has already been one year! Amazing! Thank you for still posting and sharing your journey with all of us. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture made us both laugh out loud--he looks like he's just going to fall over. Congratulations on a year anniversary--it is amazing how time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a funny picture. Congratulations!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am thrilled beyond measure... always and forever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! And now I'm singing those songs in my head... Great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That will be a photo the kiddos will probably laugh at some day, lol ; ) Happy 1 year home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! A year already!

    Good job mom and dad!

    I have loved following your journey this far!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ps- I am blogging about being an adoptive mama under a new (more private) page. I would love it if you followed! Email me at jesstutt @ gmail . com for details. (I am moving away from a little blog about the big infertility, in much the way you did!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Anniversary MTL!! Loved reading all the updates in the last year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. One year??? How could that be??? Oh your poor hubby in that photo, he looks like he's about to drop! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. Congrats on your one year anniversary! Your kids are so cute! That is a fantastic picture of your husband- he looks like he is about to fall asleep while pushing the stroller.

    ReplyDelete