Sunday, May 22, 2011

The names, and other updates

I am dying over here.

Dying.

I never imagined how hard this would be--could be. Every day without them is agony. It has now been two months since we first boarded that flight to Ethiopia, our stomachs fluttering with butterflies, our hearts about to be opened in a way we didn't even know was possible.

Two months.

Two months of going to sleep praying that someone is picking them up when they cry, that someone is feeding them when they are hungry, that someone is cuddling them close, and singing them songs, and nuzzling their sweet baby necks, and patting their soft baby backs.

Two months.

Our case has hit another snag at the Embassy earlier this week. We spent Monday night near tears as we ran through worst case scenarios, ones we cannot even really allow our hearts and minds to consider. Yet again we're at the mercy of other people, there are circumstances we can do nothing about.

I never thought that at two months post-first visit we'd still be sitting here, waiting, watching the calendar as the days tick by, not slowly, but at rapid-fire pace, another week gone, anther week passed in a flash without them here. Another week (in theory) that brings them closer to us but at the same time another precious week of their lives that we are missing, that can never, ever be recovered.

If you pray, please direct your prayers to the U.S. Embassy, that they work swifty and only in the best interest of our babies, and that we do not disintegrate into madness while we wait for news to travel.

In the meantime, you can add their real names to your pleas to the universe on our behalf, stitched so lovingly onto two beautiful Curious George quilts handmade by a wonderful fellow IF friend and IRL friend from my childhood. First names given by us, second names their beautiful Ethiopian names that will forever be a part of them.

I hope you can read them. I was playing with a camera app to blur out the edges (so I certainly wasn't trying to blur out the details of their quilts, just trying to put the focus on their names).

Two months.


PS Please don't type their names into the comments section--I don't want their names to be searchable, that's why they're presented in a photo format (idea stolen from Claudia!).


36 comments:

  1. Beautiful names! I think of you often and pray the wait gets shorter and shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the names! I am sure the wait is agonizing, but hopefully those two beautiful babies will home with you soon. I am praying so hard for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you, mr. mtl and holding the babies close in my prayers.
    xoxo
    lis

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet are those quilts! I hope things happen quickly for you as they deserve to be in your arms by now!

    T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh mama, you better believe I'll be praying for your little ones!

    Beautiful names, Beautiful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Already said a prayer for you! The wait is driving me bonkers, I can't imagine how it is for you. Love the names!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Their names are absolute beauty and perfection....

    ReplyDelete
  8. praying for strength of all kinds for you both, nightly cuddles for them until you get them in your arms and an unheard miraculous swiftness for the embassy mess. if there's anything i can do at or deliver in person to the embassy, please don't hesitate to ask as they are just a few miles away and i am more than happy to make twice daily visits to help get your babies home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ugh the wait must be so so hard. the names of your children are just beautiful. very hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE their names--both the ones you gave them and their Ethiopian names. Beautiful. I keep hoping you'll post that you've been there and come home with your little ones--just can't believe it's been two months already. Wish there was something we could do. Big, huge hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot imagine how hard the waiting is. I love the names and that you used their Ethiopian names for the middle names (my aunt & uncle did the same for my cousin). Praying that things start progressing more quickly so that your beautiful family can finally be together for good.

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love their names, and hope they are cuddled in those quilts soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect names! And I just can't believe that there have to be any more snags - hang in there as best you can, although I know that must seem impossible. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Said a prayer this morning that your babies are home with you very soon. I can't imagine the agony you are in right now. Lots of love, Amy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the names! Sending prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the names, and the quilts too! But - what the what?? Why is it taking so long??? It's making me crazy too, I can only imagine how it is for you. Not a pray-er, but I'll send all my "hurry-your-damn-asses-up" vibes to the embassy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I sooo love the names...in fact I think I might borrow one of them for myself if you don't mind?! My heart is in agony for you as you and DH wait...can only imagine. Definitely in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the names of your sweet babies! I can't imagine the agony you must be in. I truly hope the Embassy gets moving on this so you can bring them hope and snuggle them in their adorable quilts soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will pray that there are some - even one - compassionate person at the embassy who takes these little lives very seriously and gets them into your arms very soon.

    Adorable names to go along with those adorable faces :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Their names are beautiful. And I'm thinking and hoping for your family every day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. FYI they have Curious George bedding at Pottery barn kids - thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, my dear, I am sorry this is so hard. I can only begin to try to imagine how you are getting through this because it just downright sucks. Good thoughts, prayers, and strength sent your way that they are home soon and snuggled into those beautiful quilts. Their names are perfect. Love them! Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can ones heart be full and break at the same time? I love their names... touched and filled my heart. I hate that you have to wait, wait and wait some more...breaks my heart!

    I have lit candles for each of them and the candles sit in my window, so hopefully their light can travel to be with them.

    Is patience really a virtue?

    ReplyDelete
  24. my heart aches for you guys. you are so strong. i can only imagine the longing and pain you are feeling now. you are all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love those names!!! I am praying they come home to you soooo soooo soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. what beautiful names! I am praying that you are able to get them and bring them home soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the names and those quilts are fantastic. What a wonderful marriage of their heritage with yours.
    I cannot even imagine what these past 2 months have been like for you, and sadly continue to be like. I am hoping and praying that things begin to move more quickly.
    sending much love to you and to your two little babies...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful names and I pray they are with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thinking of you my dear. I can only imagine how hard this wait is. The quilts are adorable and I pray that someday VERY soon your little ones will be snuggled beneath them. Thanks for your constant support... it means the world to me.

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE their names. LOVE!! And I didn't get to comment before that I think the nursery is precious. Now I am sending many prayers to get your babies home to you ASAP!! ((hugs))

    ps- For some reason blogger isn't letting me comment under my account and just keeps saying I'm anonymous. Annoying. So hopefully the way I am doing it will work but if not it is me- D :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I feel for you guys! I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through! I almost feel like going in tears! Yes, definitely prayers! Please continue to share.

    Sincerely,

    Lexie Lane
    voiceBoks - The Voice of Motherhood

    ReplyDelete
  32. Heh - do you really think it's a good idea to take my tips on privacy after what's just happened over at my blog??? LOVE these blankets, and what super-cute names! So very sorry you've got yet more waiting with the embassy. This time SUCKS.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful, beautiful names!

    Just sent up a prayer that little H&H come home to you soon~~~

    (Can't wait to meet these babies when we're in Austin! Yay!)

    ReplyDelete
  34. You know I love their names! The embassy has been in my prayers as well as any and all offices or people dealing with your case- may they work together well & speedily in the best interest of the babies to get them home to you!
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  35. Incredibly honored.

    ReplyDelete